Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Long Distance?


Anytime the phrase "long distance relationship" is mentioned people tend to roll their eyes, feel bad for them, or go into a story about how they will never do "that" again. Even if people do encourage you and tell you it's possible, you'll never hear the word "EASY" anywhere in their advice!

With all this negative energy surrounding long distance relationships, I knew Jimmy and I were going to need to have a game plan before embarking on this new chapter in our relationship.



----------------
ONE YEAR
*
905 miles
*
16 hour drive
*
$300 plane ticket
----------------




 One day while I was working Jimmy complied the list on the right to start forming our "game plan" to keep our relationship strong over the next year. He put to paper everything I was thinking in my head, which gave me the hope that we can DEFINITELY make this work!

$39.99 at Target
"GAME PLAN":
1. Talk on the phone--EVERYDAY!


2. Skype a couple times a week (Check out my new webcam..woo!!)
    [We have heard conflicting advice over skype. Some say it's great to feel even more in touch with the person. Others say it makes the distance too hard seeing their face but not being there. I'll keep you posted on what we find works for us!]


3. Visit as much as possible!
Currently we have scheduled:
-I'll go to NC Aug 31st-Sept 3rd
-I'll go (possible with his family) to NC over Thanksgiving
-He'll come home for a week over Christmas



4. Read a daily devotional togetherWe got this idea from our friend, Lauren, who is long distance from her boyfriend during the school year. We decided on the following two books. One is a mini devotional to do each day. The other is a book we can read on our own, but discuss over long skype sessions :)
"Before you plan your wedding, plan your marriage."
-Quote on the back of the second book

5. Write letters to each otherI think we both have found that at least one of our love languages is "Words of Affirmation." We wrote each other a lot last summer while I was at Timber-lee, so I am definitely looking forward to this!


STAY TUNED FOR MY NEXT POST ABOUT WHAT I'VE FOUND HELPFUL SO FAR!

XOXO Alexa

No comments:

Post a Comment