Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day



Sgt. William J. Warner
In celebration of Memorial Day, my family chose to go honor my grandpa (Dad's dad) at his grave. On the way down to visit his grave, my dad decided to tell us old stories about him. My favorite story was about how when my grandpa was thinking about joining the service one of his friends told him to join any branch except for the marines. He told my grandpa that he was not "tough enough" to be a marine. Well that's all it took to fire him up and prove him wrong! My grandpa chose to become a marine and was stationed in Okinawa during the late 1950s. In fact he even became a Military Police Officer! (They are some of the toughest men enlisted in the marines)
It is hard to believe it has already been twelve years since he passed away. I can still remember all the times we spent with him and the endless amounts of popcorn stashed in the cupboards! I am thankful for the wisdom, strength, and faith that he passed down to his kids. If it wasn't for him, I don't think I would have learned so many valuable lessons from my Dad. His spirit definitely lives on in our household through my Dad.


The cemetery that his grave is at is small and beautiful. To the right is a picture of one of the monument/statues located near his grave. It is of the Lord's Prayer. I think it is perfect that his grave is so close to this, because he was such a strong man of God.


WE THANK YOU,
WE MISS YOU,
AND
WE SALUTE YOU!

1 comment:

  1. Your'e such an amazing young woman Alexa! What a lovely tribute!

    ReplyDelete